Friday night I transcribed my interviews, a tedious but necessary task that helped me find my story within a lengthy and interesting interview with my subject, Karen Bailey. Karen is a talented artist and a wonderful woman who spent a week in Kandahar with the Canadian Forces medical staff back in 2007. This experience inspired her Triage Series, which she has spent the past 3 years painting and promoting.
Saturday I assembled my edit script and made subclips. Once this was finished I started laying out the first sequence. After reviewing my footage a number of times I found what I needed to build a basic three act structure. Cramming it into 4 minutes will be the tricky part.
Act one introduces Karen as she discusses what she tries to capture in her paintings, before setting up the twist that begins the second act. I used interview clips to begin this sequence with the intention of going back and inserting actuality and stills to enhance the visuals and compliment the story.
Sunday morning I returned to the editing room to put together the second and third acts for my rough edit. With the previous day's work fresh in my mind I was able to pull the two sequences together fairly quickly. having reviewed all three acts and trimming some sections that I was originally intent on including, I think the story remains strong and is more concise than before.
After sitting down to do the work I’m much less intimidated by using Final Cut. I know I still have a lot of work to do before my first film is finished, but I’m more optimistic than I would have been this time last week, so that’s a step in the right direction.
Next up is selecting the right visuals to suit my story. With a ton of stills and over an hour of actuality it shouldn’t be too difficult. Once that’s in place I can start thinking about adding music and more advanced effects.